Wednesday, November 12, 2014

I have perfected the slowest pattern making practices in the world...

 

So since my fabric shop has closed, I've been slowwwwwwly but surely working on purse patterns.  Yes, it's true...I have managed to perfect the slowest pattern making practices in the world.  
If I'm being completely honest, one of the main reasons for this is that there has been a part of me that has held back because of finding it difficult to part with my designs.  There is something a little scary about opening up that creative part of yourself to the world.   I have a wonky way of making & creating things and for the longest time I didn't know if the way that I make things would translate to others...

But I had a very enlightening conversation recently with one of my closest friends Dawn, who is also a creative mind and she broke through to me.  I had been moving along at a snails pace creating templates and writing out instructions for a couple of patterns when in addition to talking me through holding onto my designs for the reasons stated above, she also made me realize I was stuck full force in a "creative rut" (which I think every creative person has experienced at some point).  Right around that time, my friends at Camelot Fabrics asked me to do a project and along came the Soft Shell Tablet Case Free Tutorial.  It was definitely the kick start that I needed.

I had been working on a specific purse pattern for MONTHS that on paper, looked like the first one I should release.  But, I just wasn't connected to it (for lack of a better phrase).  
I wasn't "feeling" the design and I'm now understand that this lack of connection and forcing myself to work on it is what put me into the "rut".  Then it seems all the creative stars lined up in my favor when Camelot Fabrics asked me to make one of my Meera Bags for their Booth at Quilt Market...I did...and here she is...
Maybe it was the fabric (which is so rich in color and I was loving it), maybe it was the creative stars lining up, maybe it was just dumb luck....but making this bag made me realize not only how much I adore this purse, but how versatile it can be, simple it was to make and and fun it was design-wise.  It has brought me so much joy and that got me to thinking about how much of that I could spread to others.
And voila!.....creative SPARK reignited!  So ever since Quilt Market, I've been on a roll.

Once my "Hypernoodle" was lit up, I couldn't stop... I knew this Meera Bag was going to be the pattern I would start with.  I've made several different models of it over time and I envisioned a new version of it in more solid colors...with leather straps... so this is what I made after Quilt Market:
For some reason lately, I cannot have a purse that doesn't have a set of hand straps.  I love my shoulder strap, but I've GOT to have my hand straps too.  This purse turned out so wonderfully and I am so very pleased with the results!  Here are some more views...
Sometimes the best purses don't have all the bells and whistles, they are clean, simple and understated and THAT is the thing that makes them stand out.  Being able to focus on the details, stitching and the overall look can put your attention into making a great looking bag!
I adore how roomy this purse is inside!  It's big enough to carry a couple of diapers in but small enough to still be a proper purse...btw, please pay no heed to our dying grass...(LOL)
And yes...I'm still loving my new camera!  Doesn't it take the most fab pictures???

Well in the midst of finishing up this bag....my HYPERNOODLE had another purse design just randomly *POP* into my head. 

Could. not. get. the.image... out of my brain ---for the life of me.  

So I sat down and sketched it out...created measurements, a template and then made a quick prototype...I couldn't help myself...I just HAD to make a full out version...annnnnnd this is it:


Don't have a name for it yet, it's too new...lol.
I'm completely obsessed with any fabric right now that has a "heathered" look to it and though this fabric was absolutely perfect for this purse.  I'm also obsessed with white thread top-stitching at the moment...can you tell?  Gotta love my Aurifil thread for that!  It makes the most BEEE-YOU-TI-FUL top-stitching ever!

I've been carrying this purse around for the last few days and have gotten so many compliments on it, I've actually had several people ask me where I "got it from"/"where did you buy that?" which made me feel so utterly flattered :)
More views...


Again, two different ways to carry--hand straps and shoulder straps... 
this shoulder strap is adjustable too.


The inside lining is made with some fabulous "Ta Dots" fabric and has a zippered pocket and a 3 section slip pocket...




The back also has a zippered pocket and some subtle hardware.  Does anybody recognize what the hand straps' hardware actually is?

I think it's safe to say that I am out of my creative rut....hooray to the creative minds!

So I've scrapped the patterns I was working on that put me into the rut and have refocused my attention and energies on ones that keep my Hypernoodle running strong. 
LESSON LEARNED: Always be true to yourself...It reminds me of what the designers on Project Runway are always talking about when they say they've got to be "true to their aesthetic"...

That being said, I'm moving forward...I've got the Meera bag pattern coming your way after the Holidays... the pattern pieces are digitized, the instructions are all written and they just need some proofing.  Along with the Meera bag, I've got some other new designs and previous Hypernoodle designs already in the digitizing phase~  Woo-Hoo!!  

In the meanwhile-- to continue to perfect the instructions for the patterns, I'm making a handful of each of the above designs to put into my Etsy shop for the holidays.  Nothing helps you break down all the oddities of pattern instructions more than making a bag over and over again...I can't keep them all for myself so I'll put them up in my Etsy shop when they're all done!

So would you like to see this "heathered" purse above as a pattern too?  Let me know!  
It really needs a name, doesn't it?

Happy Sewing!
Hypernoodle




23 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you to get these in to PDF patterns! I understand the getting into a "rut" but so glad you pulled through :) I will be watching for both of these awesome patterns and purchasing them as soon as they are available!!
    Thank you and keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww Thank you, Sue! I think every creative person knows that "rut" phase! I hope to have at least one pattern done after the New Year....almost ready!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I just "discovered" your blog from Purse Palooza. I really like your designs and how you incorporate the hardware! It took me a bit to figure out what you used for your handstraps on your newest bag design, but I got it! :) I'm looking forward to trying one at some point!

    Krista
    Flickr Bag Album: http://tinyurl.com/qy2mrvd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Krista! Thank you so much for stopping by! I wondered who'd be able to figure out what the handstrap hardware was!! :)

      Delete
  4. I am also visiting from Purse Palooza, adore your bag designs and the hand and shoulder straps together, I also like my bags that way, plus I love the fact both of them have a zippered pocket inside. If you need a pattern bag designer I would love to volunteer ;)
    http://secretlystitching.blogspot.gr/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mara! Thank you so much for the compliment and many more thanks for visiting! I'm loving Purse Palooza--just heard of it recently! I may take you up on your suggestion also!! :)

      Delete
  5. Hi! Here from Purse Palooza. These bags are great. The second one, without a name I love the best!! It looks like an elegant professional woman should use it. I'll start following your blog. I'll be waiting for the patterns. And if you need testers for the pattern, I'm volunteering. I sell bags on etsy and have a blog as Norma's Bag Boutique.

    Happy Sewing,
    Norma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Norma! I also love the second one the best! It really "speaks" to me!! Thank you so much for your kind words! It is so nice to hear from other creative minds! I will check out your shop! :)

      Delete
  6. Your no name bag is beautiful! I like them both but the second one is very unique ;) Great job on the pattern and fabulous sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Dani! I really appreciate you taking the time to visit and your kind words! :)

      Delete
  7. Just curious, what interfacing/interliner did you use on both bags?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For both bags, I used Heat n' Bond's woven interfacing and Extra High Loft fusible fleece...they are my faves! I wrote a blog post on them, here's a link: http://hypernoodle.blogspot.com/2014/04/bag-interfacing-threadis-there.html

      Delete
  8. Wow! These bags are fabulous. Can't wait to get my hands on them. I, too, am a pattern tester for several bag designers and would love to volunteer for that if you decide to go that way. I love all of the hardware on that second bag. It is perfect! You can check out my blog at http://shadesofbold.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your compliments, Marion!! & many more thanks for your offer! I will definitely check out your blog!! :)

      Delete
  9. Came here from Sew Sweetness and wow! I would LOVE to see a pattern for that heathered bag -- it is so fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww! You are too kind, Saroy! Thank you so very, very much! I cannot tell you how much it means to me~I feel so blessed for all the wonderful feedback! :)

      Delete
  10. Hi Michelle,

    I have been stalking you...I mean following you for a while and have been praying that one day you would offer patterns for your beautiful work. I'm happy to see that you are working hard to make that happen. I was sad to see your fabric site close but looks like you have sprouted in other avenues. Congratulations!!

    I love your bags for many reasons.. All of your bags are gorgeous!! I'm in love with the Meera bag and also loving the 'no name' bag so much too. It's hard to pick a favorite so I won't. What I love about a lot of your bags are the use of rivets as I AM A RIVET QUEEN!! ha ha. The way you use hardware really and truly makes your bags stand out. I will continue to 'stalk' you and look forward to seeing many more of your amazing designs. http://pureandsimplecreations.com

    I have patterned test for a few and would be honored to pattern test for you too one day. :-) Your work is truly amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, Shelley!!! Not only did you truly have me LOL-you have no idea how you just completely made my day!! Thank you SO much for taking the time to post!!! My heart is filled to the brim and bursting with happiness after reading your post! So much hard work over time and it it so incredibly wonderful to know it is liked and appreciated!!!

      In addition to that, I checked out your blog & Etsy shop and I must say that your sewing skills are absolutely SUBLIME! I just love what you are doing!! Keep up the good work-it is phenomenal!!!! I am happy to know that I have a fellow "Rivet Queen" in you! I absolutely love the look of rivets and am glad to see you do too!
      I know some people are afraid of using rivets, and it's really unfortunate because they offer so much to a bag's design! So, I've been working for quite sometime on an easier way to install them and I've got some neat ideas that I hope to be able to share here on my blog!
      Thank you, Thank you, Thank you again!!! Your post is just a prime example of why I do what I do and it inspires me to keep pushing forward~ THANK YOUUUUU!!! I know I will surely be chatting with you soon! :)
      ♥Michelle aka Hypernoodle

      Delete
  11. Hi. Just checking back to see if and when the patterns from this post might be available. I love them both and keep checking back since the first time I saw this blog. Hopefully awaiting....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn! Thank you so much for coming back and checking! Unfortunately it has been a continued super slow going process~I've had quite a few things come up personally since the Holidays and haven't been able to devote the time necessary to these patterns :( I am hopeful that the situation will change soon!

      Delete
  12. I just found you. Are these patterns available?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww! You are too kind, Saroy! Thank you so very, very much!

    goldenslot
    goldenslot

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the great post! I love reading it, you can be a great writer.
    wordpress
    blogspot
    youtube
    បាការ៉ាត់

    ReplyDelete

© The Hyper Hub. Powered by